Monday, September 7, 2009

Let me tell you a story

Today when I woke up, there was a nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me that I shouldn't be leaving San Francisco. After a nice lunch with Bunny and my family at the Cheesecake Factory, I started my long journey back home. As I drove down the 101-S, I hit some mild traffic near Stanford, but nothing major. All I was hoping to do was get home before the darkness came and I was stuck going up the grapevine at 8pm. Perhaps I was optimistic since I arrived in Gilroy in just over an hour - but as I cruised on I thought I was doing fine. Little did I know that just a few minutes later I'd stall out on the 152-E and have to pull off of the road, confused and scared. When I finished talking to my dad about what happened - I realized that I no longer had any torque in the Jeep - a nice v-6 engine should be able to make it up a hill, but I couldn't. I continued on and quickly realized that my engine wasn't shifting properly, and frequent phone calls to my dad had us hoping that I was dealing with a messed-up fuel injector, so when I reached Kettleman City I put in some high-octane gas and an octane booster, but to no avail. I stalled again while going about 70 in the fast lane (I had been passing a semi-truck) and this time had to pull off the road to the left (in the dirt median) to re-start the car. That was a scary experience because getting back on the freeway from the dirt was tough with no torque to propel me forward (luckily cars moved out of the way and I was able to get on fine). Finally, I reached the grapevine around 7:30pm and prayed I would be able to make it home. Cruising at a brisk 45mph, I made my way up the grapevine in the truck's lane, which was even scarier when some trucks actually passed me! I made it home fine around 9pm, and that's the end of the story basically. Tomorrow I'll find out what's really wrong with it, but I don't really want to drive it anymore. Note: I had a fantastic weekend and while today's travel-nightmares were unfavorable to say the least, I'm still very happy that I went to San Francisco this weekend. I love it there and loved being able to spend time with Bunny :)